Radiant Heating Element (burner) Testing:
In order to test the radiant heating element (burner) on your electric range, the following steps should be taken:
- Before repairs or testing can begin you must disconnect the electricity at the fuse panel, at the circuit breaker panel, or by pulling the plug. Make sure the power is off before proceeding. A jolt from 220 volts can be fatal, use caution!
- Access the radiant heating element by raising the cooktop of your range. In order to do this on some models you will have to remove the retaining trim. Remove the trim retaining screws under the front edge of the cooktop, lift the cooktop and unplug the element's wiring harness. Now remove the entire cooktop and place it carefully upside down on a flat surface. It is a good idea to pad this surface with a blanket or quilt in order to avoid damaging the cooktop.
- Remove the malfunctioning element from the cooktop. Carefully undo the two screws securing the element mounting bracket to the cooktop and turn over the element assembly to gain access to the temperature limiter and element. The element is encased in a fragile insulated casting, so handle with care. Now remove the wires from the element and you are ready to test the radiant heating element.
- Test the radiant heating element using your VOM. On the ohmmeter setting, set the range scale to R x 1. Test for element continuity by touching one test lead to each of the two terminals. Depending on the manufacturer and the size and wattage of the element used, the reading should be between 19 and 115 ohms. If the element fails this continuity test, replace both element and temperature limiter.
- Replace the defective element and limiter by removing the screws holding the element to its bracket and lifting it away from the bracket. Now install the new element and limiter assembly by reversing the dismantling steps. Make sure the new element is flat against the underside of the cooktop in the correct position. Be sure the element's wires are replaced on the correct terminals as shown in the wiring diagram.
- Finally, plug in the element's wiring harness, close the cooktop and replace any retaining screws.
REMEMBER YOU ARE WORKING WITH 220 VOLTS - USE EXTREME CAUTION!!!